Margaret De Courcy Lewthwaite ('Kooroovi') Dewar
- Brief Biography
1878-1959, British / Scottish
Born 1878, Kandy, Ceylon (Sri Lanka) the daughter of tea planter John Lewthwaite Dewar and Amelia Cochrane 1880s, educated privately and at the Glasgow High School for Girls1892 -1899, attended classes at the Glasgow School of Art (GSA), her sketchbooks from this time show her producing many studies for metalwork and jewellery; from 1897 she received instruction in metalwork from Peter Wylie Davidson and the beginnings of a lifelong friendship. 1898, first mention on the staff list at the Glasgow School of Art 1899, first receives mention of her metalwork in The Studio, begins to exhibit metalwork, paintings and drawings around the country 1899-1900, attended the Central School of Arts and Crafts, London, sent there by Francis Newbery with the intent for her to learn enamelling for the GSA 1900, established her own studio at 93 Hope Street, Glasgow – adjacent to the Davidson’s shared studio - here she worked until 1926. 1901, exhibited ten pieces of repoussé metalwork and enamels at the 1901 Glasgow International Exhibition 1902, exhibited five pieces of metalwork set with enamels at the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Art, Turin, Italy, and four pieces at Cork International Exhibition. 1902, appointed Instructor in enamels at the GSA, an appointment she held until 1908 and again from 1912- the1920s, working alongside Peter Wylie Davidson technical instructor in metalwork. She later instituted the Dewar Prize for enamels to be awarded at the Annual Exhibition of the Glasgow School of Art Club. 1903, enamellist Alexander Fisher visits Dewar’s enamelling classes at the school and advises on equipment the GSA should invest in, 1905, becomes an active member of the Glasgow Society of Lady Artists. Women’s rights and welfares issues – health, employment and training - becomes something Dewar actively engages in and champions through committees, councils and other organizations for the rest of her life. 1909, receives a three page review of her work in The Studio. 1924, paints one of 23 panels in The Forestry Hall at The Wembley Exhibition London, under the direction of Robert Burns. 1926, moved her studio to 15 Woodside Terrace, Glasgow 1934-1937, President of the Glasgow Society of Lady Artists 1935, receives Lauder Award from the Glasgow Society of Lady Artists for a zinc presentation casket with enamels, 1950, writes a publication on the history of the Glasgow Society of Lady Artists. 1952-1955, President of the Glasgow Society of Lady Artists. Died 1959, Glasgow.