William Simpson - Old houses in Castle St from a sketch made in 1843
Watercolour entitled Old Houses in Castle St, from a sketch made in 1843, by William Simpson, 1898
Described in the 1927 publication Catalogue of Paintings and Drawings in the Old Glasgow Room:
The houses in the middle distance were removed in 1884, and a 'land' erected on the site, while a church now occupies the corner of Mason Street. The block in the foreground was known as 'The Black Land', probably from its being connected in the public mind with the priesthood. Erected in 1471, it is Glasgow's oldest house. It became later, 'Provand's Lordship', and is presently the headquarters of the Provand's Lordship Club.
There is a tradtion that the small addition to the near end was at one time the residence of the public hangman. In 1843 it was, along with part of the adjoining block, used as a 'herb ale house'. On the right hand side of the drawing is seen one of the old pump wells, of which there were several in existence at the time the sketch was made, but which are now all removed.