A View of the Middle Walk in the College Garden
This print of College garden in Glasgow by Robert Paul, dating from 1756 was given to Glasgow Museums by Charles Louis Spencer. Spencer was born in 1870 to John and Robina (nee Jarvie) Spencer, then living at 165 Hill Street, Garnethill, Glasgow. Charles was educated at Kelvingrove Academy and then at the College Chaptal, a technological college in Paris. He returned home to live with his mother and his older brother John in Glasgow where they carried on his father’s business and is listed as a merchant in the 1910 Post Office Directory.
He was a member of the Lanarkshire Volunteers and during the First World War he held an appointment as Commander Royal Engineers, 51st Highland Division. He was thrice mentioned in Dispatches, awarded a Distinguished Service Order in 1918 and a CBE in 1919.
He was a yachtsman and until his death was Commodore of the Clyde Cruising Club. He was the author of “Knots, Splices and Fancy Work” which went to six editions.
He had a collection of ship models which was given as the Spencer bequest to Kelvingrove galleries. He had a collection of arms some given to Glasgow Museums and a collection of crossbows given to the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh. In 1943, he donated the islands of Bucinch and Ceardach on Loch Lomond to the National Trust for Scotland. He and his brother John established a trust which funded the upkeep of the nunnery garden at Iona.
He bought Warmanbie, Annan in 1933 and there he died in 1948 having never married.
Text contributed by Anne Coats, Kelvingrove Donor Research Project