The LA198 spitfire, built in 1944, is a Mark 21 spitfire with a Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine and a five bladed propeller. It flew with the 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron from between 1947?49 and, after a short service career, was used as a `gate guardian? at RAF Leuchars.
In 1996 it was given to the city of Glasgow to act as a memorial to the men of 602 Squadron. It was restored in a joint project between Glasgow Museums and the National Museums of Scotland.