free entry to all museums

 

Glasgow City Council Logo


 

Heritage Lottery Logo

The Heritage Lottery Fund has contributed to the development of the Collections Navigator

Douglas fir

Cut section of a Douglas Fir tree, Canadian, about 1900

Cut section of a Douglas Fir tree, Canadian, about 1900

This large section of a Douglas fir was given to the museum by the University of Glasgow in 1966. It is believed to have come from Canada, and been cut down around about 1900 and brought to Glasgow for the 1901 International Exhibition, held in Kelvingrove Park.

Counting the annual rings, it appears to have been about 600 years old when it was felled, so must have started growing in the early 1300s. The tree is named after David Douglas (17991834) the Scottish botanist, who introduced it into cultivation in 1827.

Bookmark and Share