- Object type
stained glass panel
Fragment from the Virgin Mary in Mourning
- Place Associated
France, Normandy, Rouen (possibly) (place of manufacture); England, Essex, Noak Hill, Church of St Thomas (place associated)
clear glass, coloured glass, stained glass, painted glass, lead
overall: 225 mm x 290 mm x 10 mm 750 g;framed: 244 mm x 320 mm x 12 mm
This head of the Mourning Virgin is believed to have been taken from a window in the East Wall of St Thomas Church, Noak Hill, Essex, possibly when the window was conserved at an earlier date. The window was given to the Church built by Sir Thomas Neave of Dagenham Park in the 1840s. It is unclear when this fragment entered the collection of George Eumorfopoulos, from whom Burrell acquired this piece via Wilfred Drake in 1944.
The window is believed to have been made in Normandy, perhaps Rouen, although it has been noted of this head alone that the technique of applying ‘sanguine' to the lips is characteristic of Parisian production of circa 1550-1560.
Published:William Wells, Stained and Painted Glass, Burrell Collection, 1965, no. 64
- Credit Line/Donor
Gifted by Sir William and Lady Burrell to the City of Glasgow, 1944
Burrell Collection: Stained Glass
- ID Number